Thursday, January 15, 2009

Eon: Dragoneye Reborn

Author: Alison Goodman
Published: 2008
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Series: First Dragoneye book
Pages: 544
Target Age: 14-18
Other books by Goodman: Singing the Dogstar Blues (Highly Recommended)
Synopsis:
(Warning: slight spoiler!)
Set in a fictitious land modeled after medieval Asia, this is the story of a young girl, Eona, who is forced to conceal her identity in order to enter the apprenticeship of powerful men able to convene with magical dragons. Eona, under the guise of Eon, is chosen by the Mirror Dragon, which has not chosen an apprentice for over 1,000 years. Eona must keep her true identity hidden while trying to learn how to communicate with her dragon and stop a power-hungry Dragoneye from usurping the throne.

My Thoughts:
*One of the Top 11 Reads of 2008
I think part of the reason I liked this book so much was that I got to read an advanced reader's copy before the book had actually been published (sorry, I couldn't resist showing off a little--one of the benefits of working at a bookstore!). That aside, it was a great book. What I liked most about this book was how easily Goodman combined the elements of a great fantasy with the complexity of moral dilemmas and poignant social commentary. Goodman explores gender, sexuality, and cultural norms in a way that's relevant but not preachy. The intricacies of military strategy are reminiscent of Eldest and Brisingr (by Christopher Paolini) and add a level of complexity and intrigue that is missing from many young adult adventure/fantasy novels.

My Recommendation:
Read this if you enjoy young adult fantasy.

A quick comment on the cover of the book:
I think the image on the front of Eon: Dragoneye Reborn might scare some readers away; it gives the impression of a much nerdier, hardcore fantasy than it actually is. I guess there's truth to that old adage...

1 comment:

  1. Blogging? Really it seems you have too much time on your hands. I know you have two but maybe you should go get another blog. I mean job! anyways, read any good tour de forces lately? or how about feel goods of the year?

    ReplyDelete