Friday, January 16, 2009

The Freaking Point?

I decided to review these two books together because of their similar content and appeal. While in a few instances they contradict each other, for the most part they provide coherent explanations of human behavior and societal trends.

Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything
Authors: Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
Published: 2005
Genre: Nonfiction, Economics/Psychology/Sociology
Pages: 242
Target Age: 16+
Synopsis:
The authors explore several social phenomena through the lens of economics (i.e. incentives) in an attempt to explain why people act in certain ways. Some of the topics covered include why drug dealers live with their mothers (despite their supposed wealth) and cheating on standardized tests among teachers.

My Thoughts:
Many of the explanations offered by the authors are controversial (e.g. crediting the legalization of abortion with decreasing crime), but well reasoned and fascinating. Freakonomics is the type of book that leads me to thoughts like, "Of course! How did I not see that? If our government read this book they could solve all of society's problems!" Once I overcame the 'ecstasy of the idea' (see The Book Thief's 'Selected Quote'), I realized that while yes, some of the research used in the book could prove useful, it was no panacea.

My Recommendation:
If you read (and enjoyed) The Tipping Point, definitely give Freakonomics a try. Read if you're interested in human behavior, social interaction, politics, education, economics, or ethics.

Selected Quote:
"Information is a beacon, a cudgel, an olive branch, a deterrent, depending on who wields it and how. Information is so powerful that the assumption of information, even if the information does not actually exist, can have a sobering effect."


The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference
Author: Malcolm Gladwell
Published: 2002
Genre: Nonfiction, Psychology/Sociology
Pages: 304
Target Age: 16+
Other Books by Gladwell: Blink, Outliers
Synopsis:
Gladwell explores how trends, fads, and other social phenomena (sound familiar?) start, spread, and wane. His book is divided into three sections in which he discusses the people, content, and contexts that ultimately decide whether an idea will catch on and reach the 'tipping point.'

My Thoughts:
*One of the top 11 reads of 2008
What I liked most about The Tipping Point was the third section on the importance of context. I found myself saying 'yes' over and over again to the research Gladwell put forward about the dynamic nature of human personality--I felt vindicated for my own feelings and behaviors. I also saw many of his anecdotes as potentially useful tools for my new job as an Americorps VISTA, a position in which I would be working towards social change.

My Recommendation:
If you read (and enjoyed) Freakonomics, definitely give The Tipping Point a try.
Read if you're interested in human behavior, social interaction, education, politics, economics, or ethics.

No comments:

Post a Comment