Friday, February 27, 2009

Diary of a Wimpy Kid

Author: Jeff Kinney
Published: 2007
Target Age: 9-12
Genre: Children/Graphic Novel ('A novel in cartoons')
Series: First of 3
Synopsis: Greg is a middle school student dealing with the typical issues of adolescence--girls, grades, bullies, siblings, parents, etc.

My Thoughts:
A quick, easy read. The humor is definitely geared toward middle schoolers, but I found myself laughing--particularly at the illustrations. There's not really a plot line, but I guess I shouldn't have expected one from a diary. I think what I liked most about this was the ideas it gave me--this book could be a great launching pad for getting students to write their own diaries, or as Greg would rather have it called, journals.

My Recommendation:
Great for middle school students, especially boys and the 'reluctant reader.' Parents will enjoy reading it with their children.

No comments:

Post a Comment