Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Hunger Games

Author: Suzanne Collins
Published: 2008
Genre: Young Adult
Target Age: 12 and up
Series: Book 1 of 2 (2nd forthcoming)
Other books by Collins: The Underland Chronicles (See earlier post)
Synopsis:
In the future, the land once occupied by the United States is home to Panem, a nation of 12 alienated Districts ruled by the powerful Capitol. Each year, to remind the Districts of their subjugation, 2 children from each District are chosen at random to compete in the Hunger Games, in which the 24 'tributes' battle to the death as the nation watches. (Warning: slight spoiler ahead.) Katniss, a 16-year old from the impoverished 12th district, volunteers for the games when her younger sister's name is drawn.

My Thoughts:
Even though it's only February, I would venture to guess that this is quite possibly the best book I will read this year. I loved Collins' Underland Chronicles and she has outdone herself in Hunger Games. I finished it last night and would gladly read it again. Much like in the Underland Chronicles, Collins not only tells a riveting story, she also deals with social and moral complexities that add an intriguing and poignant depth to the tale. I am eagerly awaiting the sequel!

My Recommendation:
Everyone should read this! My only caution is that the violence is not appropriate for young children.

No comments:

Post a Comment