Monday, February 2, 2009

Pride and Prejudice

Author: Jane Austin
Published: 1813
Pages: 400 (depends on edition)
Target Audience: Teens and older (women)
Other books by Austin: Sense and Sensibility, Emma, Mansfield Park, Persuasion
Movies: Made into a 6-part television mini-series (A&E, 1995) starring Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth; also adapted for film in 2005 starring Keira Knightley.
Synopsis:
Set in 19th century England, this story follows Elizabeth Bennett and her sisters on their quest to find suitable husbands.

My Thoughts:
Many of the 'classics' I've had to read for school have disappointed, and so I was worried that Austin's writing would be tedious and difficult to read, but was pleasantly surprised to find it light and witty. The book started off at a quick enough pace but slowed down about a quarter of the way through and had it not been for the promise of viewing the six hour A&E version with a friend, I might have abandoned it. Luckily, at about the half-way point, the excitement resumed and carried me eagerly to the end. Austin's characters are lively and amusing and I particularly enjoyed her word choice (most surprising: "super-excellent"). Several people have recommended that if I liked Pride and Prejudice I should try Austin's other novels, and I believe I will!

My Recommendation:
If you're in the mood for a light-hearted romance novel, Pride and Prejudice is a super-excellent choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment